Thursday, February 7, 2008

Project Proposal

I have to decided to stay with the topic of drug testing in public schools. My position on this topic is that I am for school drug testing due to the fact that it prevents future addiction and also keeps our public schools safe. The topics that I plan to cover in my paper would be the rights of schools to take urine specimens from students. Some say that this is going against the student’s constitutional rights and is an invasion of privacy. I will also cover the topic of how public schools are responsible for maintaining “safety, health, and discipline.” The argument against this would be that it is the parent’s job to protect their children and to inform them of the dangers of drug use and to prevent it. One of the other arguments that I will include in my paper will be that students relinquish certain right when they are entrusted to a school for supervision. I will also mention the counterargument that any kind of gathering of biological specimen is inherently intrusive. As well as the fact that drug testing in high schools has not been proven to decrease the use of drugs in high school. There is also the problem that arises that if they test for popular drugs such as marijuana, cocaine, and alcohol what’s to prevent students from using prescription drugs or other un-traceable drugs.

1 comment:

Andrea Stemaly said...

I'm glad to see you've addressed both sides of the argument here, but what about the necessary background information on this topic? When did drug testing begin? Where? And why? Did parents demand it or the schools? Has it been effective?